Wednesday, July 15, 2015


From Racine Community Media:

Alderman Ray DeHahn makes a motion to simply have the committee keep an eye on the bar, and see if the earlier closing time improved things!!

In October 2007- After being thrown out because of a fight, a patron came back to Kenny’s bar with a gun and shot two persons inside the bar and one person outside the bar. Kenny’s was called before the Licensing Committee on October 22, 2007. The owner told the Licensing Committee he fired three bartenders and promised to be more observant. The report was received and filed by the Licensing Committee and no further action was taken.

In October of 2009 The owners of Kenny’s, Neighborhood Bar were requested to appear before the committee for incidents at their tavern.

On August 6, 2011, at 2:12 a.m., the Police Department responded to a fight inside AND outside of Kenny’s Tavern. Upon arrival, officers saw that the front window of the bar was broken. Several people in the street began throwing punches. Several people ignored commands by officers to stop fighting and were taken into custody at Taser point. 

In all, four people were arrested and eight officers were required to manage the incident. The incident tied up officers for over three hours. The matter was received and filed by the Licensing Committee and no further action was taken.

On August 11, 2012, at approximately 12:30 a.m., multiple gun shots were fired in the direction of Kenny’s. Multiple cars were hit by gunfire and one person was shot in the arm. Witnesses in the bar said they saw and heard “shots flying.” The shooting does not appear on police reports or on the bar’s history report. The incident was never referred to the Licensing Committee.

On May 11, 2013, at 1:00 a.m., the Police Department responded to another shooting at Kenny’s. Upon arrival, officers spoke to bar security and learned that a fight had occurred inside Kenny’s between several patrons. As the bar was emptying, two people fired numerous shots. The Police Department noted that the investigation was ongoing. The Licensing Committee took no action on this incident.

On June 23, 2013, at 1:05 a.m., the Police Department responded to another shooting incident at Kenny’s and found that the suspects fired several rounds at the rear smoking patio area. A patron was struck in the left buttock by a bullet. Despite several shootings in just a few years, on June 30, 2013, Kenny’s Class B liquor license was renewed.

On July 22, 2013 After a string of incidents involving Kenny’s, the Licensing Committee asked the owner to appear before it for an informal meeting on July 22, 2013. One of the committee members said that the conference was intended for information gathering only. The owner of Kenny’s Bar told the Licensing Committee that the bar would voluntarily close at midnight on the weekends in light of recent events. 

The owner told the Licensing Committee that he and his staff also met with the Police Department on June 28 to discuss crime prevention strategies. Police Department Chief Howell requested the Licensing Committee treat the recent shooting at Kenny’s as a homicide. The Licensing Committee asked for a side agreement and ordered Kenny’s to return to the Licensing Committee on August 12, 2013.

On August 12, 2013, Kenny’s was not required to sign a side agreement before the Licensing Committee. In fact, Kenny’s was not even on the Licensing Committee’s agenda. Chief Howell reported to the Licensing Committee that Kenny’s was closing early until things quieted down. Apparently to alleviate any of the Licensing Committee’s apprehension concerning Kenny’s, Chief Howell assured the Licensing Committee that he had spoken to Joey LeGath of the Tavern League.

On June 21st, 2015, Police were called at about 2:29 a.m. on Saturday to the 3700 block of North Main Street for a report of a single-vehicle crash that knocked down a pine tree.

Officers found several bodies lying outside, according to Blade’s criminal complaint, and his ex-girlfriend was screaming: “Help me! I don’t want to die! I can’t breathe! It’s hot!” Police saw her legs dangling inside the passenger compartment of the white Mercury Mountaineer, and her upper body had been thrown through the windshield — where that portion of her body was trapped under the hood in the engine compartment, the complaint states.

The passengers, ages 20, 22, 23, 25, and 25, and Blade had been drinking at Kenny’s bar before the crash and were headed to an after-party, the complaint states.

On June 21st, 2015 A local man was charged Tuesday in the Father’s Day crash on 1:37 a.m. Sunday in the 100 block of Main Street. The fatal crash, located just south of the Main Street Bridge on Main Street left two men dead, with a prosecutor leveling accusations of both speeding and drinking. 

Ramone Campbell was “speeding on Main Street,” Assistant District Attorney Bridget Brave said, asking for the $500,000 cash bond. Campbell was “drunk and killed more than one person on Father’s Day.”

A 19-year-old passenger in the black Ford Explorer that Campbell was driving said they had been drinking at a party Saturday evening, and shared a beer while driving to Kenny’s bar after midnight on Sunday, according to the complaint. The teen said after they left Kenny’s, Campbell was speeding approximately 50 mph to 60 mph on Main Street before he lost control of the sport-utility vehicle and crashed into the oncoming Malibu, the complaint states. The speed limit on Main Street is 25 mph.

In a city due process hearing, the licensee may be represented by counsel and produce witnesses. Testimony at the Licensing Committee due process hearing is under oath, subject to the right of cross-examination, and recorded.

This entire blog is from Racine Community Media, word for word,  I'm not even going to try to grammatically quote it.

The Journal Time's version:

No comments: